Introduction>History Of Medical Care
Historical Roots│Mackay's Firsts│History Of Medical Care│Pastoral Care│ Medical Department│Nursing Department│Education &Research│Social Services│ Employee Servics│Future Development
Early in 1905, Dr. J.Y. Ferguson, under the auspices of the Canadian Presbyterian Church, came to Taiwan to reopen the clinic in Tamshui. By 1912, the clinic was moved from the small river community of Tamshui to its present site in the large metropolis of Taipei. The name of the clinic was changed to Mackay Memorial Hospital.
The advent of the First World War forced the mission to reconsider its position. The Canadian mission once again in June of 1918 decided to close its doors. The hospital remained closed for the next six years. In 1923, however, the Canadian Presbyterian Church sent Dr. G. Taylor to Taiwan to begin the process of opening the hospital. On January 1, 1925, Mackay Memorial Hospital reopened its doors to the people of northern Taiwan.
During 1940, Mackay Memorial Hospital underwent another major transition that changed its destiny. At this time, the Canadian Presbyterian Church decided to hand the hospital over to the Northern Taiwan Presbyterian Church. They immediately named a Board of Directors, and then asked Elder Chin Ting Cheng to serve as its first Chairman. Later Dr. Da Jwang Li was appointed to be the first hospital superintendent.
The Japanese government in October of 1943 decided to take over the management of the hospital, and changed its name to the Japanese Brotherhood Hospital. This situation lasted until the restoration of Taiwan two and a half years later. In 1946, the hospital was returned to the synod of the Presbyterian Church in Northern Taiwan. At that time, the synod structure was changed and a new Bureau of Social Work was established to manage the affairs of the hospital. Finally in 1948, the Mackay Memorial Hospital's administrative board was reestablished.
In 1957, the Board of Directors invited Dr. Holleman to become the Hospital Superintendent. It was through his dedicated service that many hospital services began to improve, and he began to develop plans for a new hospital building.
In 1960, Dr. Samuel Noordhoff was asked to assume the position of Hospital Superintendent. On March 9, 1962, the opening ceremony for the new three-story building was held. Dr. Noordhoff was a modern and very practical administrator who promoted numerous medical education programs, health care programs for the general public, and a new branch hospital in Tamshui.
At the end of 1975, Dr. Tsai-Cheng Wu took over the superintendency. During his17-year tenure, Dr. Wu was faithful to his Christian belief and led his colleagues through many crises and difficulties. Under his leadership, the hospital expanded enormously, and the first and second phases of a new construction project were both completed. Mackay Memorial Hospital was gradually becoming a modern, computerized medical center.
Dr. Chung-Chi Lan assumed the superintendency on March 1, 1992, and devoted his strength and talents to develop the hospital as an academic medical center and to begin the thrid phase of construction at the main hospital in Taipei. Under his administration, the hospital joined the national health insurance scheme which started on March 1, 1995.
On March 1, 1996 Dr.Kun-Wu Tsan became Superintendent. In additon to continuing supervision of the buliding project, he has also promoted establishment of a Medical Information System. He is committed to progress in personnel development, medical research, plans for nursing and medical schools, improvement in quality of care and expansion of the scope of medical services, all in service of the hospital's goal of excellent medical care coupled with proclamation of the Gospel.
CURRENT STATUS OF THE HOSPITAL
Main Branch Hosptial
92, Section 2, Chungshan North Road, Taipei City
Under the leadership of Dr. Wu and former Chairman of the Board of Directors, Mou Hsiang Wang, the hospital took out a loan to erect a new hospital that would meet international standards. The first stage of this new building was completed on December 26, 1980. This modern 13 story building became the new center for patient care at Mackay. A nine story addition, which houses the medical and administrative offices, was completed on August 6, 1983. Because of the inadequacy of the hospital buildings built in 1912 and 1962 to meet the needs of patients, the board decided to demolish them and begin construction of a 16-story building to expand the present facilities.
●Area: The total land area is 13386 m2, the total area of the buildings is 49,742.36 m2.
●Scale: Medical Administration Building, Patient Care Center (2-story basement, 9-story building and 13-story building)
●Number of Beds: 1091, including 95 ICU beds
●Number of Patients: an average of more than 5000 outpatients and 350 emergency room patients, daily.
●Telephone Number: (886-2)543-3535 (100 lines)
TAMSHUI Branch Hospital
45, Minsheng Road, Tamshui Town, Taipei County.
The Board of Directors not only decided to build the two medical facilities in Taipei, but also directed the administration to begin constrction of a new medical center in Tamshui. The ground breaking ceremony for the Tamshui Branch Hospital took place on February 2,1969, and the construction was completed on April 7, 1972. Construction of the 3/F and 5/F wards was completed on July 4, 1985. The new medical building was completed on September 2, 1986, marking a milestone in the history of Mackay Memorial Hospital. The research building was completed December 1, 1994. Plans are underway for construction of a new building to house a hospice and training center.
●Area: Total land area: 50171 m2; total area of the buildings: 59888 m2.
●Scale: Old and new medical building (1-story basement, 5-story building and ground floor), and research building (3-story basement and 7-story building)
●Number of Beds: 976
●Number of Patients: an average of more than 700 outpatients and 90 emergency room patients daily.
●Telephone Number: (886-2)809-4661 (10 lines), 809-4671 (10 lines)
TAITUNG Branch Hospital
1, Lane 303, Changsha Street, Taitung City.
One of Mackay Memorial Hospital's principles is "to go wherever there are needs". Having learned that Taitung citizens has to travel to other cities to receive medical treatment for serious diseases, resulting in delays and increased expense for patients, the Board felt a need to establish a new 300 bed hospital in Taitung, on the south-east coast. The Taitung Branch Hospital, located near Liyushan was opened August 15, 1987. Being the only tertiary teaching hospital in that area, the Taitung Branch Hospital provides a variety of services far beyond the city limits of Taitung. Medical teams are sent to rural areas, mountain areas, off-shore islands and aboriginal villages to provide free medical care and patient education.
●Area: Total land area: 19835 m2; total area of the buildings: 32688 m2.
●Scale: Administration building and Patient Care Center (1-story basement, 5-story building and 5-story building), dormitory for doctors and nurses.
●Number of beds: 513
●Number of Patients: an average of 900 outpatients and 80 emergency room patients daily.
●Telephone Number: (886-89)310150 (28 lines)
Hsinchu Mackay Memorial Hospital